Monday, March 18, 2013

DTGTaihojutsu Rant video response

Sensei Rick from DTG Taihojutsu made an excellent video discussing many of the problems found today in the online martial arts community especially on Youtube. So here are my 2 cents on a topic I feel is important. Some of the stuff he talked about was politics on martial arts rank. My philosophy on politics is that, sometimes politics is necessary to accomplish good things, but if it's not required, I tend to stay far away from it as possible. First of all I want to make clear of myself on a few things. Many of you know me as the guy who teaches FMA on Youtube. I learned other styles but FMA has been the most convenient style for me to teach online. I learned Arnis from my Kuk Sool Won instructor, who learned it from Prof. Remy Presas. I have no rank or certification, but that is my lineage. It sounds cool, but so does this, I am Japanese, I am a Samurai descendant. That is also my lineage, but I do not put heavy importance to such things because, it can make one arrogant, pride can become a sin. And the truth is, there is nothing special about it, every culture historically has had awesome warriors, whether your from Mexico, Canada, or Ireland. The best credentials I can present to a person is not my lineage or some certification, it is the dedication and time I've put in. I learned Arnis in the early 90s and I've been training in the FMA ever since. That is my best credential because I know the amount of work I've put in, and nobody can take away that from me. Now it wasn't just all me, I had trained with some very talented FMA people along the way who definitely added to my experience. I also have to say that even though I started training in the early 90s, there were many times where I focused on other styles such as Karate, BJJ, Aikido, MT, and JKD. The good thing was that I continued to train in FMA and kept it alive in my training even if I was spending most of my time in other styles. Also because I have no rank in FMA, I never claimed to teach pure FMA. This is my own interpretation of FMA. This is my own style. I've been attacked many times about terminology and I have to say whatever terminology I'm using comes from the people I've trained with, if they learned it wrong or I misheard them then that is that. There are people who train in styles for the specific purpose of maintaining all the info on that style for the next generation. These people are strict traditionalists and preserve the style, I have nothing against people like that, I think it is important, and I understand that I am not one of these people. Sadly because people like this have tremendous knowledge, skill, and lineage, people tend to think they can fight. I'm here to say that fighting is totally different. Being knowledgeable and able to demonstrate a technique perfectly is different from fighting. So please do not mistake the two. Until you see them fight many times you have no idea. The next thing I want to talk about is my purpose, my goal on Youtube is to present solo training material so that students can develop good body mechanics. I am not making any claims that a student will be able to fight well, or survive a street altercation. Even though I personally developed my own style for the street and have used it many times to survive street altercations, it worked for me personally because of my background and many other factors. For me to say watch my videos and practice the Heaven 6 and you will be able to defend yourself on the street is silly, there is no style that can make such a guarantee period, and solo training is simply not enough. I've had street experience living in bad neighborhoods, experience working a rough security job, BJJ competition experience, a ton of sparring experience in various styles, unsanctioned challenge matches, and even a few fights in high school. All these things plus more enabled me to survive the streets, but even then there is no guarantee, I could go out in the street tonight and get assaulted and beat up to a pulp or worse! The problem with today's martial arts community is that people make outrageous claims. They do this because this is how they get attention. They open their big mouths and talk with authority and soon people will start believing them. One thing that Sensei Rick taught me was to be professional. A professional does not make exaggerated claims, a professional does not mud sling and get into juvenal verbal fights. If an instructor lies, is a fraud, con artist, or immoral/unethical I think it is important to inform this fact to those that are interested, but once again, it needs to be done in a professional manner. Skill seems to intimidate many people, but skill has nothing to do with any of this. A person can be mega skilled, but if they are making exaggerated claims, they should be attacked for these claims, not for their skill, if a person is mega skilled and makes false claims about their credentials, then they should be attacked for lying, not for their skills. I think too many times people get side tracked by the skills, and from another spectrum, we can also say that if a person is mega skilled and wants to have sex with your daughter are you going to let them do so? Of course not, because it doesn't matter how skilled they are, that is not right. Sadly people often times are willing to look the other way because the person is skilled, and they allow the person to be rude, loud mouth, make exaggerated claims and so forth. We the public have been trained to idolize skilled people regardless of their moral and ethical values. And this is wrong. Skill is overrated, and it needs to be valued beneath being professional.

No comments: