Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Realistic Perspective on Trapping Techniques

I teach FMA (Filipino Martial Arts). In FMA we have something called Hubud, which is very similar to sensitivity drills taught in JKD which is Bruce Lee's system that was highly influenced by Wing Chun Kung Fu. Wing Chun Kung Fu is known for their trapping techniques. Many people have argued against trapping techniques saying that they are not realistic. I think one of the main problems here is that people look at these trapping techniques and expect to see a knockout. I do feel that it is possible to knock someone out with these techniques, but I also do feel that it is very difficult for two reasons. The first reason is because knockouts are hard to come by period. You can watch a boxer fight 12 rounds and it may go the decision with no KO finish at all. That doesn't mean that boxing techniques do not work. The second reason is due to the fact that there are not many if any people at all that are trying trapping techniques in MMA. For example we know that it is possible to KO someone with a spin kick. There are a few fights that you can see where people have been able to. But the sheer number of people trying stuff like this is low, so we don't see it often. The other main problem is that people are only thinking of seeing 100% success of the technique in order to consider that it works. If I'm a BJJ fighter, and I get struck repeatedly standing up, so then I go to the clinch, and there I get kneed, so I try to take them down, but they reverse my takedown with a counter throw and end up on top of me, from there I try to submit them from the guard but they repeatedly land blows using the ground and pound method. I lose a complete unanimous decision holding my bloody nose and swelled shut eye. Does this mean that BJJ doesn't work? From another perspective I can say that while my opponent successfully struck me, I was able to prevent them from knocking me out, I successfully got the clinch even though I was kneed, and then even though I got taken down, I was able to drag them with me and take the fight where I wanted. And from there I was able to prevent them from knocking me out by using the guard position. So a series of failures is still actually a success of certain portions of the strategy. Because if not, I would have gotten beaten a lot worse. We need to view trapping techniques the same way. It's not just about successfully tying up their arms and landing shots that lead to a KO. There is a whole series of "failures" that can still elude to the success of trapping style techniques. If I can protect my centerline and prevent from getting majorly hurt this is a good thing even if I'm taking shots. If I can stay at an angle relative to their body position to limit the amount of attacks they can do, this is another success of trapping principals even if I am only able to decrease their attacks, and if I can simply block some of their shots by using my arms as a barricade even though I'm getting repeatedly shin kicked in the thigh, this is better than getting KOed.

No comments: