Sunday, October 19, 2014

interview

INTERVIEW WITH WMPYR DESIGNER OF MONSTARENA (October 2014)

What is MONSTARENA?
MONSTARENA is a table top game for 2 to 4 players, where you flick discs around trying to knock each other off of the table. There are monsters that are wacky and gory like Monster Balls, with special martial arts moves like in Street Fighter II, all done in 8-bit old school NES style graphics!

How did you come up with MONSTARENA?
MONSTARENA is based off of a game I actually use to play with my friends in junior high school in Japan. In between classes we would play this game where we would flick our erasers to hit the other player's erasers off of the desk.

How is this game different from MONSTARENA?
The core mechanics is basically the same. Instead of erasers we are using wooden discs with monster characters. By introducing a point system, I was able to add more strategy to the game. The Power Discs also expands and changes the game play.

Why Monsters and martial arts?
I really enjoy horror films, and I'm an avid martial arts practitioner so it seemed like a no-brainer to combine the two! I think the result is unique and a very fun type of world.

What is 8-Bit Horror Vision?
I wanted a retro vibe so I thought of 8-bit game graphics, because I had so much fun playing video games back in the day on those classic systems such as the NES, Famicom, and Game Boy.

Which is your favorite Monster Disc?
My favorite is Sir Vordenburg the Vampire. At first I wasn't going to do the classic monsters, but I ended up making those guys anyway and I'm really glad that I did.

Why did you put bosses in this game?
Another throw back to video games. Boss battles are exciting and fun! So I thought why not bring that to the table?

What is MONSTAGOLF?
I thought it would be a great bonus to make the discs usable for another totally different game. I definitely want to make more games available in the future!

Back to Monstarena main page

No comments: