Saturday, February 7, 2015

Don't Panic, real story by Wmpyr

Don't Panic
Real story by Wmpyr

In college, a few of my buddies and I watched UFC 5 on pay per view. One of the guys there played football in high school who probably weighed over 260 pounds. He said that he wanted to test himself against me in a grappling match, but I think he wanted to see how good I was, since I was pretty much commentator during the UFC show, and stupidly I agreed. I weighed 140 pounds at the time. On campus there was a full sized wrestling mat that I frequently worked out on. So we decided to do it there. We began from the knees and he grabbed me and proceeded to pick me up and slam me over and over and over. I couldn't tell which way was up or down. During the tornado I was caught in, instead of panicking, I told myself, that I needed to do something or I was going to lose. This was the harsh reality, but once I accepted that the next step was to make some kind of beneficial action to turn the tide around. Since I was totally lost, I needed to know where I was. The moment I got slammed again, I remember both of my hands and the side of my face was on the mat, and I knew there was the ground, so I quickly got up, spun around, took his back, and put on the sleeper, and to my relief he tapped out. Now that I look back on the match there are some key points. There was really no need for me to lose my sense of direction since his arms were wrapped around my waist. I could trace his position from that which would also reveal my position, and overall orientation. I was lucky that we weren't on concrete, or that he didn't slam me on my head or knew a slamming technique that could injure my ribs or other body parts. I was probably able to get out of his grip so quickly at the end because after slamming me so many times without resistance, he didn't expect me to suddenly do that at that moment, and he also probably tired himself out, and possibly he didn't know what else to do, so he could have been mentally distracted, thinking thoughts like, what else can I do? Do I just keep doing this? What do I do next? While he was thinking those thoughts, BAM! I was out with a mission called the Rear naked choke. From the big picture of things, by this time I already had many matches like this where I had won all of them by submissions. This guy said he had only wrestled with his football team. So even though he was much larger, stronger, more athletic, and had wrestled, at the end of the day we had a grappling match with submissions and where pins don't count, and that was something I had experience with while he had never done that before.






No comments: