Friday, February 20, 2015

WING CHUN

Wing Chun
by Wmpyr

Intro Back in the mid to late 90s I was fascinated and obsessed with Trapping simply because I did not understand it. I didn't know how to make it work in full contact sparring. So like a madman I studied Jeet Kune Do and Wing Chun. At the time I was also experiencing Boxing, and I saw that Boxers actually utilized single traps, but I never saw Boxers use compound trapping techniques. And I never saw Boxers slam another Boxers arms down pinned in a crossed position. Was it because Boxers are not allowed to grab, or because they wear gloves, or because they simply don't know the technique? This riddle bothered me for a long time. For a long time, after I studied and learned the very basics of Wing Chun, I could only find use by applying the concepts to another style. From Wing Chun I learned about sensitivity. I then applied that to my grappling. My body would listen and feel for movements and shifting of balance, and I would accordingly respond rather than force a technique that I had in mind. I also learned about protecting my own center line while attacking the enemy's center line. Once again I applied this to my grappling. If I expose my center many times I get pinned on the ground and lose mobility such as shrimping. If I'm able to attack my opponent's center line, I would disrupt their strength, I could cause them to lose their balance and base which makes it very difficult for them to attack me during this moment. Trapping Range When I was studying Jeet Kune Do, I learned that there was Kicking range, Punching range, Trapping range (the deadliest range), and then Grappling range. Things made more sense to me once I accepted that Trapping range is the same as the Clinch. MMA fighters would "shoot in" for a take down (double leg or single leg) and it can be a risky move, you can get counter punched (Dan Henderson Vs Renzo Gracie) or you can be counter kneed (Gomi Takanori Vs Ralph Gracie). Using trapping techniques to get into the clinch can be a safer alternative. Missing Force One of the main things that I noticed that is missing from conventional Trapping training is the application of force. And understandably so, when you apply force the technique becomes crappy, and the skill development decreases. This is the same with grappling. If you grapple spar light and easy it's called soft work and you can develop skill but it's not realistic, in real life you have to deal with weight, pressure, and struggling against strength. So you have to do both types of training. Trapping is the same, you want to isolate the drill and just practice the skill, but you also want to develop the realistic feel and apply force. There needs to be a constant forward moving pressure so that you head towards the clinch. Leaning Back The Wing Chun stance has the practitioner lean back, in a fight you lean back to dodge a punch the face, and also if you want to sweep or kick a person. So you can fight in a more natural stance but when you lean back, that is when your Wing Chun comes in. One of the major problems I had was the awkward looking stance in Wing Chun. I had heard that Wing Chun was essentially developed in the south where footing was not always secure, there could be rain and mud, so they had to develop a stance suited for that, but I always felt that there was more to it. The Wing Chun stance forces the user to lean back and lead with the leg, then comes the very specific way of punching. I believe now that there are two tactics involved here. The way a Wing Chun practitioner punches puts the body directly behind the punch so that you can push or grapple in a clinch if needed, making this good for close quarters confined space type environments. This type of punching is very different from a Boxing punches which are generally designed for you to hit as you pass by the opponent. In Boxing mobility is much more of a factor. Playfully testing the waters with jabs and fakes allows a Boxer to open up and destroy their opponent with the lesser punches. The other tactic in leaning back as you punch allows you to counter punch off of a flinch which is suitable for a street fight in particular when your opponent tries to sucker punch you.

No comments: