Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Solo and Partner Training

Solo Training On my Youtube channel I focus most if not all my efforts on solo training. However I don't want students to think that solo training is all that's necessary, there are many more areas that are just as important, such as partner training. I mainly focus on solo training on my Youtube channel because I understand that most people are probably watching my videos at home or in their office. They may not have a training partner, fancy equipment, or even that much space for the matter. I want to make instructional videos for those that can't afford to go to a martial arts school, or for those people that may be stuck in a hotel somewhere. From my own experiences I can tell you that there were more times where I have been at home and alone rather than training at a school with partners. For that simple reason alone, I think it is wise to learn how to become adept at solo training. If you become good at solo training, then you will always be able to train, no matter where you are. While there are many important things in solo training, if I had to say what is the most important, I have to say that it's to just shut up and train. Simply because when your solo training there is a tendency to over think things and get lost in your own head. People tend to become too critical of others, and worry too much about what other people are doing. Don't compare so much, study yourself, hone your skills, be honest to yourself, and you will find that martial arts done right is positive, nurturing, and a self correcting path. Partner Training If you look up FMA videos on Youtube, you will see that most of them are partner training videos. If it looks unrealistic to you, understand that what they are doing is for skill development, not for gaining realistic experiences. If you want to beat on something you should practice on a old junk couch, or hanging tire, not your training partner. Full contact sparring is a test of your skills, development of your combat skills is a completely different animal and it should be done differently. In Grappling magazine which was released a long time ago, I read a quote from Rickson Gracie where he says to develop skill you have to spar without using your strength, speed, flexibility, or any kind of attributes. When you add all the other stuff it becomes more realistic but then it takes away from the skill development. Bruce Lee is often misunderstood for the quote where he said something along the lines of if you want to become good at sprinting, you have to run. Martial arts wise I think people misunderstand that as if you want to be good at fighting you have to train by fighting. I think he meant one needed to incorporate realistic training methods. I do not think that he meant for you to make all of your training into full contact sparring. I also do not think that he meant for you to make full contact sparring the most important part of your training either. For partner training I have to say that most important thing is to become a good training partner. To get the most out of your training sessions you also have to help others become a good training partner too. If your able to make an environment where everyone is a good training partner then you cut out the drama and results. I have had CEO types come in to my school as clients rather than students and they demand to learn a particular skill and all they care about is themselves. This kind of aggressive get what you want mentality only makes you miss out on things because at the end of the day it should be about team work. And so much more can be accomplished through a strong team compared to a strong individual.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said. I say the same thing when I am a guest instructor for Muay Thai for my gym in the USA (I lived in Thailand for 4 months training Muay Thai). Partner training is to gain skill on combos, techniques, and counters to scenarios a real person will throw at you; if you want a real workout go do pad work or hit the heavy bag.