Thursday, June 9, 2016

combat trapping



Combat Trapping, trapping for full contact fighting


After learning many wonderful trapping techniques from various sources such as Wing Chun, JKD, and FMA, I realized that I wasn't able to pull off any trapping techniques in full contact fighting. This was a darn shame to me because the logic and ideas behind trapping made sense to me.

It has taken me over a decade to figure it out, but I did it. If you asked me back in the 90s I would have told you that I don't know how to make trapping work in full contact. In early 2000 I would have said that whether it's Wing Chun trapping or Aikido wrist locks, the opponent needs to be unsuspecting and their arms need to be static. In other words you need to be preemptive.

After the mid 2000s I was working on my knife combat techniques. And I came up with a training method called Ledging which is not limited to, but uses the ledge of a door. Ledging was inspired by the wooden dummy and some Kung Fu practitioners that use a tree to condition their body. The most important factor I included in this training was to move forwards and back to incorporate a sense of timing and a sense of force.

To make the traditional trapping techniques more realistic I knew I had to do the same thing, add the element of timing and force. My biggest obstacle was to get away from the thinking that trapping was a method of entry into the clinch. Instead I began to view trapping as a method of fighting within the clinch.

Many people who were pressure testing trapping began to realize that trapping could be divided into two areas. The entry and then compound trapping. More times than not, they stuck with the simplistic entry moves and disregarded many techniques especially compound trapping techniques.

My method has a completely different view. I don't trap as an entry, because that relies on speed, a tremendous amount of speed, or your opponent must be sub par. I view trapping as something that occurs in stand up grappling. Since the nature of grappling is to slow things down, I can now execute various trapping techniques when I am grappling in the clinch.

Trapping while grappling changes the way I make my entry compared to standard practitioners of trapping. My entry is now based on pinning their arms for grappling. Many trapping practitioners are taught to use slapping techniques, when you change the slap to a grab, or forward grappling pressure then the dynamic completely changes.

The reason why we don't see trapping in grappling arts is because they are not allowed to strike. And the reason why we don't see trapping in striking arts is because they are not allowed to grab the arm. Trapping combines striking and grappling. And the reason why we don't see trapping in MMA is because the styles MMA fighters train in do not teach trapping. Now that I released this material, I hope that we will see trapping in MMA in the future.

No comments: