Monday, July 11, 2016

Nunchaku time

I've never learned the Nunchaku formally in a martial arts class. However I was fortunate to learn from several very talented martial artists who were very good at the Nunchaku. I remember one of the guys said that the Nunchaku would be his weapon of choice for a street fight. This guy wasn't into any fancy throwing and spinning tricks. He was more interested in how to deal with the rebound after you actually hit something. Around 2006 I really got back heavy into my Arnis, Kali, and Eskrima roots. I noticed a strong connection between the Escrima stick and Nunchaku. So I began to explore that aspect which was new to me. Before I learned Nunchaku from guys that had background in traditional Karate, Ninjitsu, and Tae Kwon Do, which were quite different from the Filipino martial arts. More recently within the last few months I've been diligently practicing the Nunchaku based off a video I saw on Youtube. It was one of George Dillman's seminars. He gets a lot of hatred especially for his energy manipulation and knock out touches. However the Nunchaku video to me was very well explained, and very logical. My philosophy is simply to learn, instead of badmouthing someone, just learn. His material was very basic, but I feel a big improvement in the way I handle the Nunchaku especially when it comes to the figure 8 motions. Dillman wanted his students to hold the Nunchaku towards the bottom of the handle, so that's what I've been doing. Holding towards the bottom allows for a harder hit but less control. So you have to make up for the lack of control with skill. Dillman also showed using the Nunchaku like twin short batons for offense and defense, among other things. I really enjoyed the painful wrist trap using the Nunchaku cord.

No comments: