Wednesday, May 2, 2012

THE FOOT FIST WAY martial arts comedy film review by Wmpyr


I found this film to be funny and enjoyable. I didn't take it seriously or negatively. I was worried that I was going to find it offensive/racist, because that can easily happen with humor, and I'm glad that it didn't occur.

To me the film is a success because it's well filmed, Danny McBride carries the film, he plays the role of the egotistical TKD instructor perfectly. I'm glad that the director Jody Hill put himself in the film because his character is hilarious.

I wish this was made into a TV show kind of like how Super Troopers started RENO 911.
Maybe what was lacking a bit was they could have made the characters more likable in the film. I think there was a little bit too much of the story, instead they could have focused on more insane martial arts related gags. For instance a rival instructor across the street who wears a gi that is just loaded with patches. Having a character like that egg on Danny McBride would be really cool. Would love to see a Bruce Lee impersonator in the film. You could do stuff with secret techniques, challenge matches, tournaments, outrageous scary looking villains, internet wars (style vs style), and of course training scenes.
The film looks like everyone had a lot of fun during filming, and if the film had reminded us why we like martial arts so much and why we like training in martial arts I think it would have been a bigger hit. The film overall makes light hearted fun of these kinds of egotistical instructors and features martial arts action without being too hardcore, so overall you get a mild delivery, which isn't bad and I can see why the cover compares it to Napoleon Dynamite.
I don't dislike the film, I definitely see a lot of potential here.

No comments: