Blood of the Dragon, Zhui ming qiang

BLOOD OF THE DRAGON
(1971) film review by Wmpyr

I was reluctant to see this film because on IMDB they said it was quite gory, and I am not a fan of gory films. Having said that, I really like Five Deadly Venoms and I felt that this film was far less gory than that. There are some scenes about half way into the film that is shot way too dark in the night. And the overall story is not to my taste, but the electric guitar music was pretty cool, I found the little kid to be annoying, I felt that the plot was a little too politically complicated than it needed to be, but when I think about it, the story is really not that bad. A dying man has an important list in bamboo which he gives to a kid. Soon the Prince's men are trying to take the list, and the spear wielding main character protects the kid. They try to deliver the list back to the Prince (yes there is a communication error) and the Prince is interested in having revenge for his father who was defeated by the spear man. The Prince's father had a betrayer, turned to the Mongols, who is now after the list and basically the spear man is cornered inside a restaurant wounded with a quasi love interest. After talking to the kid, the Prince comes to the spear man's aid only with medicine, it would have been nice to see the two finally team up. The final battle is with the spear man up against the betrayer and his goons who uses a sword whip. A cool weapon which is one of the things that makes the film worth it. In the end the spear man, Master Long the White Dragon wins, freaking impales the betrayer with his spear and lifts him up and throws him! After that the spear man dies standing like a true hero. The fight between the spear man and the father of the Prince mentions how the father has a magical sword. It only gets mentioned but we never really see anything. Spear man against the Prince, reveals the sword to be like a cheap magic trick where the sword can catch the spear by letting it go through it like magical rings. All in all, I became disinterested in the film many times, but what kept me going was how super cool the main character was, a true man's man, and how he made the spear look awesome. Kind of made me think of why the spear was so revered in China. The story came across like a fugitive sieged up in a building type movie, which is not my bag of tea, but in the end, I am glad I saw it because it did have some really neat stuff hear and there. Basically I tried to dismiss it but it won me over. So I do recommend it.

Comments