Wizard of Oz Essay

WIZARD OF OZ ESSAY
by Wmpyr

I am a fan of the famous classic film The Wizard of Oz. Even though I like the film, I am the type of person that likes to think about how to improve things. One of the biggest areas of concern occurs immediately after Dorothy's arrival to the land of Oz. Dorothy's house falls on the Wicked Witch of the East resulting in an instant death. I do feel cheated that there was no fight between Dorothy and the Wicked Witch of the East. It doesn't help that the fight between Dorothy and the Wicked Witch of the West was also a disappointment because after all the build up, there really was no showdown, just an accidental splashing of water. In defense of the film, I don't see a problem with Dorothy not being a fighter, Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and Snow White weren't fighters either. However I think it would have been nice to see her use her wits to overcome the two wicked witches, but that's not what happened. My other gripe once again has to do with the Wicked Witch of the East, she was wearing ruby slippers, which is not a very wicked witch like item. Maybe she stole it from a good witch, so the ruby slippers were originally for purposes of good, but I'm doing too much speculating here. Once Dorothy gets the magical ruby slippers, they never did anything to help Dorothy until the very end when she learns that they can take her home. So the whole duration of the film we hear about how valuable these ruby slippers are yet they were useless 90% of the time. I would have liked to have seen a more useful item such as the gifts from the gods in the original classic Clash of the Titans, now those were some really cool and useful magical items.

Comments