FRIDAY THE 13TH movie review by Wmpyr

Friday the 13th (1980)
film review by Wmpyr

I just saw this for the first time. It's crazy to think that since I've seen all the other films in the franchise except for the new remake one. Finally got to see it, and I enjoyed seeing this just because it's the original. This is the start. I have to say that's it's quite different from the others especially since it's Jason's mom who is doing the killings.

I'm really glad that they stopped using the mom, and switched over to the hulking Jason instead. Especially in the final combat scenes it seemed like Jason's mom was just too old and weak and left a lot to be desired. Her best advantage was that you wouldn't expect a little old lady to be the killer, and the whole film is shot so that you don't know who the killer is until towards the end. Perhaps that is what also makes this film so effective, that being said though, that is a one trick pony type story unless you want to keep changing the killer every film, and make the audience wonder. It would be like a vampire film where you don't know who is the vampire, actually that would be an interesting film to make and probably the first smart vampire.

Personally I prefer the later films in the Friday the 13th franchise better, but this was good for me to watch just to have seen it. Can't say that I'm a big fan of this one, but I do like the franchise.

Comments