MANTIS KNIVES SNAGGLETOOTH KNIFE REVIEW




*Blade Length: 2.75"

*Blade steel: MvX Stainless Steel
*Handle Material: G10
*Combo Edge
*Push Button activated Karambit Ring

Mantis Knives Snaggletooth knife review by Wmpyr

I've had my eye on this knife since the beginning of last year. What can I say, I like tactical knives designed by martial artists and I like Karambits. Plus how can you not like a knife that has a blade based from a Megalodon tooth!

I know this because Morgan Thomas mentioned it in an interview.

This knife is engineered by Mantis Knives, designed by Morgan Thomas, with input from Filipino martial arts Professor Bram Frank! Morgan Thomas is the owner of Sharkee training knives and teaches mixed martial arts.

What do I think? 

I'm very impressed with the knife, I think it's a well thought out design, the construction quality is solid. 
I got it for a good price so I am extra satisfied.

Do I recommend this knife? 

If your looking for the conventional tactical knife then I say no. 
You will probably be happier with a Kershaw Emerson model. 
However if your willing to learn the concept behind this knife, then this is one amazing knife!




The concept behind this knife is to use it closed like a Kubotan on steroids. 

The blade is used only if things get worse. 
Legally it is to your benefit to use a non-lethal impact tool rather than a lethal weapon. 

Using the knife in the closed position can actually enhance your martial arts techniques no matter what style you studied, Boxing, Kung Fu, Hapkido, Wrestling, or even just brawling. 

Using the closed knife like a Kubotan/Yawara stick creates more leverage in your techniques and dishes out more pain.

The blade is deployed by using the over sized ramp to hook and pull on whatever it can. 

This method of deployment is called a Kinetic Opening. 
The Kinetic Opening is a contribution from Prof. Bram Frank.

The Snaggletooth also features a flipper which 
can be used for deployment, striking, pain compliance techniques, and also as a hand guard.

The Snaggletooth has an automatic ring that can be deployed by a push of the button to instantly change it to a type of Karambit.

How good is the ring? 

The automatic ring is a nice if not unique feature. Morgan Thomas says that the ring is for retention.
However I haven't had any problems using the ring to flip the knife. 




I like to think of this knife as a martial arts multi-tool. 

You are basically getting four tools in one. 
Yawara stick, impact Karambit, knife, and Karambit type knife. 

The blade edge is extra short designed to be EDC friendly, and less than lethal. Buyers may feel like they are getting cheated with a short blade, but I view it as getting an extra large deluxe handle. 

People may misinterpret a short blade as limiting in combat, but I see it as no need to hold back.

This is a hefty heavy knife. Which makes total sense for using it as a non-lethal impact tool. 


So at the end of the day I feel that the Snaggletooth is very bold in design, which I applaud. 

The Snaggletooth design is purpose driven.
I've been training with this knife at home, so it's been money well spent for me. 
If you have read all of this, a big thank you for your time and I hope that it was an interesting read for you.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.