Boker Magnum Lil Friend neck knife review by Wmpyr




Obviously this is a barebones minimum knife.
Either that is going to appeal to you or not.

For cutting open letters and doing small everyday life choirs this mini knife works just fine.
If your work requires a lot of cutting then this is obviously not going to satisfy.
If you want a blade on you that doesn't get in the way because it's so light and compact then this is for you.

Anyways I'm not here to talk about everyday usage or specs.

My specialty is self-defense.
So let me take a look at this knife from a self-defense point of view.
I always tell my students the smaller the knife the more skill required.
And let me tell you this is a small knife!

My main interest was to get this knife so that I can attach a lanyard on it.
I wanted a lanyard that could be folded over the handle region to provide more gripping.

I haven't been able to find the exact lanyard for this job but I did experiment with a couple and it does indeed work.

You see for combat the most important thing on a knife in my style is not edge sharpness, blade shape, blade length, or blade material.
The most important thing is how comfortable is the grip.
This is because in combat there will be lots of force involved and if the weapon you have is difficult to grip that alone creates big problems.

With a knife like this I'm not looking for the most comfortable grip, however I am looking for ways to instantly make the grip better without making the knife too bulky.
This was possible with this knife because of the size of the lanyard hole and skeletonized design. 

Once I padded the handle with a lanyard I was able to stab and cut with plenty of force.

With a blade this short accuracy becomes vital.
So you need to make sure that you put in the practice and develop some accuracy.  

The main strength of this knife is how compact it is, when your wearing it under your shirt, it practically disappears.

As with every neck knife it is important to practice clearing your shirt and drawing the knife efficiently.

I did EDC this knife a few times and the sheath never gave me problems. 
My knife fits secure in the sheath. 

This knife is what I thought it would be and once again Boker delivered!

If I could change one thing though, it would be the addition of some very aggressive serrations. 

Comments