Nerf Zipfire

Zip Fire Water Pistol by Nerf Super Soaker

For the longest time I wanted to make homemade pepper spray.
I finally decided to make the jump and go for it.
In this blog I want to introduce to you the water gun I chose rather than how to make the pepper spray brew.


My original thought was to try a bunch of various old recycled spraying containers.
After watching a YouTube video I decided to go with a water gun too.
The big question was which water gun to choose.
The Super Soaker 90s model was definitely one of the first ones to consider.
I also thought about the pump action water guns but the bottom line was I wanted something that was one handed.
I want my other hand completely free so that I could have a knife, tactical baton, flashlight, or something else.

So I focused on water pistols.
I went with the Nerf Zipfire for the following reasons.
1) The handle works for adult hands
2) The trigger works for adult hands
3) Larger size refill hole
4) Relatively compact

I'm also hoping that the Hasbro/Nerf Super Soaker brand means quality so that it won't leak and the body won't start cracking after some usage.

Nerf Super Soaker ZipFire
Advertised as having a Quick Fire Trigger!
3.3FL.OZ(97 ML.) YouTube video stated as about 100 shots before refill.
20Ft.(6m)

Next step is for me to home brew my own Pepper spray.
I will be needing some filters so that I will end up with only the liquid and no chunks that would clog the water pistol.
I have heard that mixing in some oil would make it harder for the bad guy to just wipe it off so easily.
I don't know how accurate this is, but here are some quick numbers.

Jalapeno Pepper 2,500 to 8K Scoville
Cayenne Pepper 30 to 50K Scoville
Habanero Pepper 350 to 580K Scoville
Ghost Pepper 500K to 1million Scoville
Law Enforcement grade Pepper Spray starting at 5million Scoville


***UPDATE***
As of now after experimenting with my homemade brew I realized that it just wasn't hot/powerful enough. 
So my conclusion is that if I homemake this stuff, it doesn't need to have the exact same results as a professionally grade pepper spray. 
A professional grade can cause the eyes to sting and close shut, cause immense pain, severe discomfort in the lungs, and difficult to wipe off.
So the homemade version might just sting the eyes a little bit.
Well that is fine, it doesn't mean that it's useless. 
And that's why I went with a pistol model so that I'm not committed to both hands on the water gun. 
I would be cool with a two handed water gun only if it were sturdy enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon. 

Comments