Bartleby film review by Wmpyr

In a college classical literature class I remember reading a bizarre short story titled Bartleby The Scrivener written by the same author who wrote Moby Dick.
We even saw an old movie of Bartleby that was rather interesting.   
I got to say that I enjoyed this Bartleby film made in 2001 starring Crispen Glover. 

It's films like this and The Darkbackward that is not your normal movie. 
Something fascinating about this kind of story telling that is a refreshing departure from mainstream Hollywood. 
I'm glad that I can appreciate this movie. 

The story is subtle dark humor, with underlying concepts of anti-capitalism and non conformity.
Bartleby can be seen as a moron or a hero standing up for free will going against the societal norm.
Either way Bartleby is bizarre.  

The world they create in this is an interesting one that 95% primarily focuses on the office environment and it's quirky characters, the boss, the secretary, the two workers, and of course Bartleby who is the most fascinating and mysterious. 

Crispen gives amazing life to what I would think might be a difficult role, simply because the character of Bartleby is very closed off and almost emotionless if you will.  
This film is a more modern take on the story but manages not to ruin the character of Bartleby and I feel it stays true to the original story even though it's not trying to be an exact conversion from writing to film. 

I like how this film just is. 
Kind of like real life, which isn't always this amazing action or incredible triumph, yet in the everyday normal life there can be plenty of intrigue. 
This film captures that in my opinion. 

If you're like me, after watching this film you will want to go around saying, "I prefer not to".

Comments