Bone Tomahawk (2015) film review by Wmpyr

When I first saw this movie pop up on my Netflix feed of course I was curious because I do like Western films and one of my favorites is Tombstone. 

So here is another Kurt Russell Western film, if it's half as good as Tombstone I'll be happy was my thinking. 

Then I read the synopsis and I was turned off because it reminded me of The Missing (2003) the Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett Western thriller film.

The Missing was well made but not something I want to see again and again. 

I figured the same with Bone Tomahawk, it's probably going to be a decently made film just very dark and intense, not a feel good film so I passed it up. 

Well it's the month of Halloween and I was looking for good horror films to see. 

Bone Tomahawk was on someone's top 20 list and I instantly became curious and now I was ready for it, because I was going to watch it as a horror film not as a Western. 

The movie is slow, well shot, well acted, lots of stars in it. 

Just know and expect that the first 2/3 of the film is slow drama but it's well worth the wait. 

The plot is simple, a few people and a girl are kidnapped presumably by Native Americans so Kurt Russell who is the law in a small town assembles a small posse to get her back. 

They have to embark on a long rigorous trip to the lair of the kidnappers that are Troglodytes (cave dwellers).

The town's Native American consultant wanted to have nothing to do with these Troglodytes stating they are not human making them sound mysterious which reminded me of the Wendol in the film The 13th Warrior (1999) starring Antonio Banderas. 

The last 1/3 of the film is where you finally get to see some action and horror. 

The horror is extreme gore and the action is intense. 

Don't expect anything like Tombstone. 

The Jawbone Tomahawk used by the Troglodytes was so fascinating that I had to do some research and I was happy to learn that it was an actual historical weapon used by the Apache tribe.  

So many things about the Troglodytes was terrifying and fascinating. 

It's been like a week later and I still can't stop thinking about them. 

They are like genius level at psychological warfare. 

How far does one go in order to terrify the enemy and let them know that you are not one to Fook with?

This is one film that I won't soon forget and I have to rank it in my top 10 favorite Western films of all time. 

   

Comments